What documentation do I need to register my recreational boat?


If you are thinking of acquiring a new recreational boat, you probably have a very common doubt: What documentation do I need?

As reported by the Government of Spain, “the exercise of activities within the recreational or sporting boating requires a series of administrative formalities, which we must comply with to be covered by the rights established in the legislation in force.
In practice, these “formalities” translate into a set of documentation that we must carry on board the boat.
When we acquire a boat we must take into account that every boat over 2.5 meters in length has its own registration, and this is composed of a series of alphanumeric characters that give registration information.

The vessel then needs to be registered in one of the ship registration registers of the Maritime Districts under the General Directorate of the Merchant Marine.

In addition, in the registration process, the ship is registered in the Ship Registry. If the ship comes from abroad or is brand new, then flagging is also processed, a procedure to grant the license that allows it to fly the national flag (flagging is restricted to ships over 24 meters in length).

The Dirección General de la Marina Mercante is responsible for the registration of ships, registration and flagging in Spain. The procedures can be carried out in the General Register of Ships, in the Maritime Captaincy or in the Maritime Districts.

From Yateocasión we provide advice to all those interested in acquiring a boat, to make this process as simple and comfortable as possible.

You can book an appointment with us to receive personalized accompaniment of the whole process to follow to buy a boat.

let's chat
Yate Ocasión
Hello 👋